Tuesday, December 14, 2010

As Time Passes

Well, it's been a month since I last blogged! Time and circumstances caught up with me a bit but now I "think" I'm settling down into a much-needed routine. I'm finding foremost that there is quite a bit of entertaining with this position. Besides lots of small teas with drop in guests, we have had the CS Lewis Nature Reserve group meeting here--and my first time volunteering to help out in the Nature Reserve on their once-a-month work day. Well, now, that was an experience! These are what is known here as true "tree huggers"--I thought I would be picking up litter to help the reserve look nice, but they spent the day hauling logs, building bridges over bogs, and cutting down trees (not branches, trees . . . ). I made it through 2.5 hours and after carrying fewer logs than the 70-something lady, I made up an excuse to return home for an appointment--and yes, I had one . . . with the tub and epsom salts! The people are delightful, though, and I'm glad to have them as some new friends! One of our highlights was celebrating Lewis's life and works on the date of his passing, Nov. 22, 1963 (same as JFK and Huxley). We had a formal tea (pictures are soon coming) and read favorite passages as well as some of the journal comments from his brother, Major Warren Lewis (in Brothers and Friends). Then we went to Magdalen College in the evening for a service at Lewis's chapel in the college where he worshipped. A highlight was the Oxford CS Lewis Society's Christmas party they held at the Kilns. Christmas is celebrated early in Oxford and I frantically hunted down "fairy lights" and headed to the woods for holly and pine branches. Since the house has been restored to the 1950s then I made sure to decorate in keeping with the time period--understated, yet festive. I stayed up until 1:00 am baking cookies--an activity I have not indulged in since my children were younger! We had over 30 people and everybody got to have "nibbles" (treats), a tour with one of the three tour guides, and some poetry readings. We had lots of stories about Jack Lewis from Walter Hooper (he was on my tour) and Michael Ward read a delightful humorous piece. Today we're preparing the house once again for the scholars-in-residence Narnia "dress up" Christmas party--all attendees are supposed to dress as a Narnian character . . . until next time.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Wallace, It is nice to meet you as well. I need to explain that this blog is not a theological site--it concerns my work as a missionary at the Kilns, CS Lewis's former home. I am honoured to be placed in this position, and as such, feel I need to focus on present ministry opportunities (and there are many). When I teach my CS Lewis class, I am teaching from a literary standpoint since I am a professor of medieval and Renaissance literature. I know there are some who wish me to address Lewis's theology; however, I would like to refer you to the many good books on the market for this purpose or to the many theologians who I'm sure would be glad to engage you in conversation. Please understand that this blog is for those of all denominations and is not specific to my own. My ministry at this time is to be inclusive of all who wish to discuss what is happening here at the Kilns. I will say that if you are wishing to look at any aspect of Lewis's works then you need to seperate the books from the films--Lewis never wanted his books made into movies and they do not represent his views. I hope this is helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry but It was a simple question and as an academic I think you can answer my concerns as an adventist too. I've put my email so u could have answered off the blog. I don't know any books from an adventist view that talks about C S Lewis and Narnia. If you know any I would like to read myself. Thanks anyway and sorry to bother.

    ReplyDelete